Guide to UMC content
This is a guide to current-ish user-made content for players. It provides unfamiliar players with detailed information about campaigns (including story, completion, difficulty and playing style) as well as detailed information about eras. Feel free to edit this guide, as it is a wiki.
For content creators who loved an add-on that hasn't been added to 1.14 or 1.16 yet, and are wondering about taking it over, please ensure that its entry on the older (1.12 or 1.10) wiki page is up to date, add a link to the add-on's feedback thread in the forums, and generally do the tidy-up that doesn't need you to start changing the campaign, and then ask the old maintainer. (You should probably also wait a bit before assuming that a maintainer isn't already porting to 1.16).
If you are looking for even more campaigns, please see the links in at the bottom of this page.
- 1 Instructions
- 2 How to play for UMC factions
- 3 Battle for Wesnoth 1.14 and newer
- 3.1 Campaigns
- 3.1.1 After the Storm
- 3.1.2 A Beastly Tale
- 3.1.3 A Song of the Winds
- 3.1.4 Bad Moon Rising
- 3.1.5 The Black Cross of Aleron
- 3.1.6 Danse Macabre
- 3.1.7 Dawn of Thunder
- 3.1.8 A Fiery Birth
- 3.1.9 The Final Exam
- 3.1.10 Flight to Freedom
- 3.1.11 Inky's Quest
- 3.1.12 Invasion from the Unknown
- 3.1.13 Leader of the Drakes
- 3.1.14 Legend of the Invincibles
- 3.1.15 A New Order
- 3.1.16 The North Wind
- 3.1.17 The Ravagers
- 3.1.18 Return from the Abyss
- 3.1.19 Rise of the Dunefolk
- 3.1.20 The Return of the Darks
- 3.1.21 Secrets of the Ancients
- 3.1.22 Swamplings
- 3.1.23 The Dark Hordes
- 3.1.24 The Tale of Vaniyera
- 3.1.25 To Lands Unknown
- 3.1.26 A Vision Blinded
- 3.2 Eras
- 3.1 Campaigns
- 4 Additional info
When adding a campaign to the list, please place it in its alphabetically sorted location, ignoring any initial article ("A", "An", or "The").
Blueprint for Campaigns
- Maintainer: if not maintained by the author anymore.
- Broken = Does not work at all
- Incomplete = Partially written, no progress
- WIP = Partially written, some progress
- Complete = Completely written, but buggy as well as potential balance issues.
- Finished = Completely written, minimal to no bugs, slight balance issues possible.
- Version campaign version on the add-ons server
- Requirements: (only if needed)
Please note: Often campaigns introducing new mechanics are listed as expert level on the add-on server, here difficulty means the raw difficulty after the mechanics are understood.
- Unbalanced = If you can't beat the hard mode, it isn't necessarily unbalanced, but if the difficulty changes erratically from one scenario to the next and only people using the debug mode have seen the final, then it is.
Please note: If you didn't play the campaign, write the difficulty written on the add-ons server.
Please note: Many campaigns will feature more than one style. Please list the most significant ones. If you don't know which style is the campaign you are listing, don't write this.
- Skirmish = small to medium sized armies, your standard Wesnoth gameplay
- Dungeon = long and narrow tunnels (not every underground scenario is a dungeon, a dungeon isn't necessarily underground)
- RPG = role playing game elements such as talking with non-player-characters, item collection, dependency on a party of very few adventurers without or limited recruits
- Survival = being exposed to changing, spawning enemies while remaining on the same map
- Large Battle = large number of units on the battlefield, sizely maps
- Simulation = campaigns feat. terrain modification, alternative resources
- Boss battle = the challenge is to defeat a single powerful enemy unit
- Minigames = there are puzzles and minigames in the campaign that significantly differ from standard Wesnoth gameplay
- Faction/Era: Era for the whole campaign and more specifically the faction or unit composition you field.
- Custom units: Link to the unit tree for cases that don't feel sufficiently described by Faction / Era entry.
- Forum: Links to the feedback and development threads at forums.wesnoth.org
Blueprint for Eras
- Maintainer: if not maintained by the author anymore.
- Status 1.14/1.16:
- see the list of statuses in the campaign blueprint
- Faction Descriptions: Describe your individual factions here.
- Requirements: (only if needed)
- Forum: Links to the feedback and/or development threads at forums.wesnoth.org.
How to play for UMC factions
Southern Nations by Elvenisko
Battle for Wesnoth 1.14 and newer
After the Storm
Follow the journey of Galas and his band following the events of Invasion from the Unknown
Status: Finished, 0.10.11
Length: 3 episodes of 13 scenarios each, some of which are multi-part
Style: Skirmish, Boss Battle, Dungeon
Faction/Era: Many custom units
Note: (vultraz) Long, very enjoyable campaign with great story. (Knyghtmare) The best UMC campaign ever!
A Beastly Tale
When a small village is beset by troubles, its fate rests in the hands of a young woodsman and the animals he befriends.
Length: 5 scenarios
Custom units: Here
A Song of the Winds
Every era has its heroes and heroines. Before the song of Myra, the odyssey of Akhen Wadjet and the aria of Tenma Yozora, there was the song of the winds that echoed in the mountains and halls at the heart of the Great Continent. Follow young Maat of Hiera'Shirsha and Prince Abhai of Garet-Desh in the war that set the stage for one of the greatest upheavals Irdya has ever witnessed. (Prequel to the Dragon Trilogy)
Length: 43 scenarios (some of them dialogue-only)
Custom units: War of Legends + Custom factions
Bad Moon Rising
An expedition to gather treasure from the cold north sets off compounding disaster.
Status: Complete 1.10.0
Length: 20 scenarios
Faction/Era: Archaic Era
The Black Cross of Aleron
A elvish school for druids comes under attack by goblins. It seems more than just a routine raid; is there something more sinister behind this attack? - In Beseiged Druids, you control Eärendil, the surviving teacher at the school, and the many and varied initiates. Not all of these are ordinary students; many have been experimenting with other forms of magic, while others are simply overachievers in some area of study. Unfortunately, they are not especially good at combat, at least initially. Together with a very small contingent of surviving guards, it is up to these students to save the island of Aleron from disaster.
Author: Celtic Minstrel
Status: Complete 2.0.3
Length: 9 scenarios
Faction/Era: Default, Elves
Macabre is a rare zombie who has intelligence and will. What's he like? What's his purpose?
Status: Completed, 1.3.2
Length: 12 scenarios
Style: Large Battle
Faction/Era: Default, undead
Note: While the campaign is playable on Wesnoth 1.14 without major issues, it is (still) in need of heavy re-balancing. Sadly, for various reasons I am not able to do it in near future but patches are always welcome, preferably in form of pull requests on GitHub.
Dawn of Thunder
A young elvish fighter is send to represent the Aethenwood at the Ka'lian. The adventure turns out to be bigger than expected.
Length: 18 scenarios
Style: Skirmish, Large Battle, RPG-elements
Faction/Era: Default, Elves, Humans
A Fiery Birth
A scholar of the Great Academy journeys to the land of the drakes to discover their secret origins.
Length: 9 scenarios
The Final Exam
Young mage Erika must find a magic book to become a true mage. But will it really be her final exam?
Status: Complete, 2.6.1
Length: 4 scenarios
Style: Skirmish, Minigames
Faction/Era: Default, Loyalists
Note: Short, easy campaign with varying objectives. Features female mage as leader.
Flight to Freedom chronicles the story of the drake hero Malakar, and his desperate cross-country flight out of slavery.
Authors: MadMax, Nova
Length: 20 playable scenarios + 1 dialogue-only, for a total of 21
Style: Skirmish, Large Battle, Puzzle
Required Wesnoth version: 1.16+
The Cuttlefish Campaign
Are the cuttlefish mere beasts or something more? What stories would they tell if they could speak? This story provides one possible answer. The easiest difficulty provides hints for novice players.
Length: 12 scenarios + story-only epilogue, for a total of 13
Faction/Era: Custom units (cuttlefish, tentacles, giant clams...). Enemies use both default era units and custom ones.
Invasion from the Unknown
Episode I - Seeking the Light: Long after the Fall, the last forest elves are forced to abandon their safe valley, and find themselves resorting to the dark means of necromancy in order to survive the perils and challenges of this new harsh world. May they finally free the Great Continent from its chaos, or perish in the foolish attempt of restoring peace and life to the lands.
Episode II - Armageddon: As the shadow of Chaos covers the entire continent, an assorted group of foolish heroes prepares a counter-attack to the Empire, with one unique goal in their minds: defeat the evil Emperor, whoever it is. Lead these courageous living and non-living warriors to victory, and rediscover lost secrets of the history.
Status: Finished, 2.1.9
Style: Skirmish, Dungeon, Boss battle
Faction/Era: Unique. You play Elves and Undead throughout the campaign.
Walkthrough: IftU Walkthrough
Leader of the Drakes
Leader of the drakes is killed. His son tries to defend homeland against the orcs. He choosed to ally with saurians, but other clans of drakes disagrees. Will fast and unexperienced Morin win against orcs and rebel drakes alike?
Status: Complete, 1.02b
Length: 3 scenarios
Style: Skirmish, Minigames
Faction/Era: Default, Drakes
Note: Short, easy campaign with simple objectives. Features Drake Glider as leader and modified Drake Burner with cold and slowing blade.
Legend of the Invincibles
Part I: Shrouded in Darkness (5 chapters, 90 scenarios) - A pair of heroes, after stopping an orcish threat, are outcast into caves, where they have no other choice than to become liches in order to survive. They preserved their original appearance and moral principles, and fight in various skirmishes against evil (although using evil methods sometimes), until the Fall, when they are buried alive under the ashes of the third sun.
Part II: Into the Light (5 chapters, 110 scenarios) - Long after the Fall, the lich heroes awaken. Searching for more power, they manage to resurrect themselves as living beings, but this time more powerful and ridden of the evil within. But the evil from inside them did not cease to exist, and started a campaign to conquer the world. Stopping the campaign caused an even worse disaster...
Length: 200 (+8 talk-only) scenarios
Style: mostly Skirmish and Dungeon (all other styles are present as well, but less frequently)
Faction/Era: Elves, Loyalists, Undead, Dwarves; but they advance past their usual maximum level
Note: The most unique feature of this campaign is its RPG-like unit development system, enemies drop items units can use, leaders are stronger than most usual units and all units get AMLA (after maximum level advancement) after reaching their maximum level (that is also increased by a load of additional level 4 units).
A New Order
The old kingdom of Wesnoth has fallen before barbarian hordes. The occupying barbarians are on the brink of civil war, the seeds of Wesnothian rebellion are kept alive by old legends, while bandits and Dunefolk mercenaries roam the land. Can Gawen Hagarthen unite these disparate factions against a common foe?
Note: This campaign contains mature themes, some of which may be unsuitable for children.
Maintainers: nemaara (Yumi), egallager
Length: Hard to say as it is non-linear; it is advertised as having 45 scenarios, but the numbering only goes up to 30 due to some of the scenarios being alternates to one another.
Requirements: Requires BfW 1.16+. Also uses the "Akladian Music" add-on.
Difficulty: Advertised as intermediate; could be considered hard, though.
Style: Mostly Skirmish, some Large Battle
Faction/Era: mostly various human factions (including the Dunefolk), with the addition of the Akladian faction of humans
Note: (Pyrophorus) Certainly one of the most mature and well designed campaign in add-ons. A must.
The North Wind
Wesnoth's army was occupied fighting Mal Ravanal in the East, but there were whisperings of an orcish attack in the north. Konrad II must send Deoran, now an experienced rider and commander, with a small band of knights to hold off the orcs....
This campaign features unique gameplay characteristics such as a lack of recruiting and a 24-turn time-of-day cycle.
Author: aelius, Deusite; pyndragon
Status: WIP, 0.3.0
Length: 1 playable scenario, 6 intended
Style: RPG, Skirmish, Survival
Description: The Ravagers is a tale of pure revenge. A tale of justice served cold, told in a flashback-style point-of-view narrative, by a ranger in the Inn at Weldyn. The campaign includes many new exciting gameplay features, fun mechanics such as drinking, hundreds of custom units, and many more.
Length: 25 playable scenarios + 2 scene scenarios
Requirements: Akladian Music Pack, Underness Music Pack
Style: Skirmish + RPG / Flashback narrative
Faction/Era: Humans, Elves, Ravagers(dark humans)
*Notes: The main storyline is complete, but there are unfinished side-missions that are still in development. The campaign is aimed to become finished with version 1.2.0.
Return from the Abyss
After taking part to a disastrous expedition, Khafir and his men are lost and isolated from their people, thousands of miles away from home, bound by a pact sealed with a powerful dwarvish king. Help him escape from the depth of Irdya and finding his way back, in an adventure across two worlds during the rise of a sinister force in the Great Continent.
Length: 19 playable scenario + 10 story only
Style: Skirmish, Dungeon
Rise of the Dunefolk
Adventure of Siabbin and Helare from small village in desert, who step by step made the foundation of the Dunefolk nation. Play a stunning adventure against many enemies in different maps - from sandstorm to swampy areas and caves. Defeat powerful lich lord and train one of the best dark mages in the world of Wesnoth.
Length: 11 scenarios
Style: Skirmish, Minigames, Survival
Faction/Era: Default, Dunefolk and dark mage
Note: enjoable gameplay with every map different. Enough experience to upgrade your units.
The Return of the Darks
The Darks are a race which left Wesnoth in the ancient times and lives on Isles in the sky. But now the Magic wich helped them to move the Isles in Sky got lost and the isles are about to fall down. Rumion an adventurer goes to Wesnoth and searchs for something that could help them.
Length: 4 playable scenario + 2 story only
Faction/Era: Default + some self made units
Secrets of the Ancients
From the Journal of Ardonna of Tarrynth:
It's unfair that we humans must die after so few years. Though this is the natural order, we need not embrace it! The lords on the Green Isle knew how to live forever. Pursuit of that knowledge was declared illegal by King Haldric I, but I believe it is worth the risk: If I can rediscover the secrets of the ancients, not only will I cheat death, I will become a hero to the whole continent!
Status: Mainlined (this is now one of the campaigns that is downloaded with Wesnoth itself)
Length: 18 playable scenarios + 3 story only
Walkthrough: Secrets of the Ancients Walkthrough
Banished by Yushnak the Ponderer, a tribe of lowly swamp goblins endure in the deadly mire of Pogo Bog. Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, this is the story of the goblins' struggle against the intrigues and betrayals of the greater races, and the rise of the first wolf rider.
Author: John Rawlins (boru)
Length: 17 scenarios
The Dark Hordes
Lead fugitive dark sorcerer Gwiti Ha’atel to mastery of the undead hordes.
Length: 15 scenarios done so far
Faction/Era: Default undead
The Tale of Vaniyera
The expansionist Lavinian Legion, led by the Imperator himself, has invaded the northern forests of the Sidhe, or Wild Elves. It is up to Leithan the Thunderblade and his advisor Vaniyera to push its armies back where they came from...
Author: oreb, turin
Status: Finished 0.11.0
Length: 5 scenarios
Faction/Era: Imperial Era, Sidhe.
Walkthrough There is a video-walkthrough by the campaign maintainer that begins here.
Note: As of August 2014, all previous issues raised about this campaign have been addressed. If you've not played this campaign since 1.4 or 1.10, in this humble maintainers opinion, it's worth another go.
To Lands Unknown
This is the story of Mehir, the Summoner, and his journey to lands unknown.
Length: 20 scenarios, 4 dialogue only
Difficulty: Intermediate (Era of Magic)
Style: Skirmish, Dungeon
Era: Era of Magic
A Vision Blinded
Defend the northern forest against what appeared like a routine orcish raid, and unravel the greater conspiracies that lie below its waves.
Status: Complete, 1.0.14
Length: 13 playable scenarios + 1 dialogue-only
Faction/Era: Default, Elves (+ Trolls, Outlaws)
War of Legends
Description: A multiplayer era focused on the Dark Irdya Campaigns. Contains 15 factions.
Author: Tahsin Jahin Khalid (Lord-Knyghtmare)
Maintainer: Tahsin Jahin Khalid (Lord-Knyghtmare)
Status: Complete, new features being added for the 1.15.x version of the add-on
- Human Alliance
- Orcish Union
- Southerners (Desert Elves)
- Dark Legion
- Knalgan Alliance
Era of Magic(EoMa)
Description: Aiming at using the whole potential of Battle of Wesnoth's graphic engine, the Era of Magic is considered to have a most amazing special effects and attack animations in the BfW game. There are 8 playable factions with fully animated units and tons of special effects contained in the era, and the stories of them are told in the campaign "To Lands Unknown".
Status: Finished, 3.1
Sky Kingdom - powerful magi of all kinds. Their knowledge allows them to cast amazing spells and summon creatures like unstopable Golems or mysterious Mus. Masters of Elements and Gurus are one of the most powerful human beings in the Era.
Al-Kamija - these proud people are good warriors and spell casters of the desert. They use magical circles and scrolls to summon amazing creatures like Jinns or elementals from other dimension called Abyss. These creatures can't be poisoned, which is a great advantage. (The campaign "To Lands Unknown" is mainly about the story of this faction)
Tharis - fearsome Tharis faction is very dangerous especially at night. Cruel people of Tharis with their black magic and dreadful monsters like Hydra can demolish everything standing on their way. Being so powerful in attack, Tharis have no healer, so they need to push forward at all costs.
Kharos - this strange name is the name of a beautiful country ruled by prophets of light. These peaceful people are masters of defense and support. Their formations of healers and Shielders assisted by Silver Warriors, who can teleport between friendly villages, are very hard to destroy.
Barbarians - the best in hand-to-hand combat. This multi-cultural society divided into Goblins, Orcs, Cyclops and Trolls with their own advantages and disadvantages can be hard opponent, but separately they are very weak.
Runemasters - these Dwarves use runic magic and equipment and are well known of their protection against magic. The Runemasters create steam machines like Gyrocopters, Robots and even mighty Mechanical Dragons. Units from this faction are very resistant but slow.
Dark Blood Alliance - this faction is composed of agile lizards, giant frogs, wyverns swallowing enemies and salamanders, which have developed to perfection the art of disguise. At the head of the community stand shamans known for their water magic, which is used in the fight as well as in healing.
Destroyers - a terrifying undead creations consisting of civilizations long gone...
Version: 1.1.1 (February 18th, 2015)
Description: Ageless Era is a compilation of the most popular eras and factions on the add-on server. It is more an era pack than an era.
Author: mnewton1, Ravana and various
Status: Finished, 4.19
Unit Tree: Ageless Unit Tree (for 1.12)
Factions List: Currently there are 91 factions in the era:
Default: Loyalist, Rebels, Northerners, Undead, Knalgan Alliance, Drakes, Khalifate
Extended Era: Loyalist, Sylvans, Dwarves, Outlaws, Northerners, Undead, Chaos, Dark Elves
Archaic Era: Khthon, Phantoms, Despair, Primeval, South-Seas, Ukians, Northern Orcs
Era of Four Moons: Highlanders, Imperialists, Sea States, Darklanders, Dalefolk, Freemen, Pygmies, Whites
Era of the Future: Welkin, Brungar
BEEM: Anakes, Calidonians, Wood Warriors
Custom Factions: Yokai, Dark Legion, Desert Elves, Steelhive, Frozen
Era of Myths: Celestials, Devlings, Elementals, Therians, Vampires, The Warg, Windsong
Feudal Era: Aragwaithi, Ceresians, Clockwork Dwarves, High Elves, Orcish Khaganates
Imperial Era: Arendians, Cavernei, Issaelfr, Lavinian Legion, Marauders, Orcei Gladiatores, Sidhe
Era of Strife: Eventide, Triththa, Free Saurians, Eltireans, Minotaurs
Era of Magic: Barbarians, Dark Blood Alliance, Sky Kingdom, Kharos, Runemasters, Al-Kamija, Tharis, Destroyers
Mercenaries Era: Highlanders, Enchanters, Avians, Slavers, Mercenaries, Equestrians, Emperor's Guard, Oracles, Holy Order, The Cult, Fanatics, Tribalists, Hive, Infernai, Refugees, Blight
Imperial Era (IE)
Description: One of the oldest maintained user eras, the Imperial Era brings together seven different factions in a completely re-imagined setting, the world of Orbivm, a very lethal world indeed. The era contains both mainline and development versions of each faction and can be used to play five campaigns, each featuring a different race.
Author: Orbivm Project (but really Turin)
Status: Complete, 0.23
- Lavinian Legion - Based on the Roman Legion, the Lavinians have strong, versatile melee units in the legionaries and a range of support classes sourced from amongst the Lavinian population and various subjugated races. The legion are strong in the plains but weak when fighting in forested areas. The Lavinians are featured in "Fall of Silvium".
- Sidhe - The Sidhe are a group of forest-dwelling elves whose focus is stealth and fleet movement. Their mages are able to channel the lightning itself, and their various other units move almost as fast. The Sidhe feature in "Tale of Vaniyera".
- Marauders - Based on the Germanic peoples that eventually conquered Rome (hint, hint), the Marauders are equally as at home in the hills, forests and swamps of their homeland. Their hard-hitting melee units are practicalyl unstoppable during the night-time. The Marauders are the stars of the "Alfhelm the Wise" campaign.
- Orcei Gentorum - The orcs have been captured gladiators slaving away in the Lavinian arenas for generations.The life of an orc in Orbivm is harsh and brutal, just like the orcs themselves. The tale of the uprising of one such group of Orcs is told in "Up from Slavery".
- Cavernei - The Cavernei are a dwarvish race with similarities to the mainline Knalgans, but with a greater emphasis on the military uses of runesmithing. They get a campaign too, in "Gali's Contract"
- Issaelfr - The frost elves live on the fringes of the habitable lands of Evrosia, the main continent of Orbivm, and have become inured to difficult conditions and tuned in to their Fae natures. They don't have a campaign yet, but you could always write one.
- Arendians - The Arendians are horse-lords living on the Western steppes of Evrosia. A life of constant battle has developed a military-focused society where warriors are trained from a young age. They used to have a campaign, but it fell into disrepair a very long time ago.
Lonely Era (LE)
Description: The Lonely Era is a new collection of six selected superior solitary sides with interesting and unusual abilities, traits and attributes.
It has been extensively revised and rebalanced over the last few years from the original era and the constituent factions.
Author: Atreides. Based on work by Shield, Desert_Shyde, Brilliand, Stern, Cloud, Grigistian, mikoc5, Stopsignal, The_Gnat, Minnakht.
Status 1.16: Finished
1) Santa's Helpers are his Elves as well as animated pine trees. They are an updated faction based on the Merry Christmas Campaign. Beware of Elves bearing gifts though, the presents are very distracting. They are unique in not having standard levels, they each can gain up to 4 special abilities via AMLA but always remain at level 1. Of course there are also Flying Reindeer and Christmas Seals.
2) Gremlins are an all teleporting race of elusive ethereal creatures. Individually fragile they work together using their tremendous mobility to swarm and overwhelm their enemies. Their mages are perhaps the ultimate glass cannons but if you can somehow keep one alive long enough it might even get to level 5 and become immortal.
3) Vaeringjar are a Viking faction allied with Wolfkin. The vikings eschew ranged weapons as well as sissy ideas like dodging blows but are a very, very hardy lot. They also have a unique herbalist unit that can inspire berserker rage in adjacent vikings for a turn. The wolfkin are lithe and armed with bows and teeth on the other hand. They are also very agile in contrast to the vikings. As nocturnal hunters they are devastating at night and almost helpless in the day.
4) Avians are cold loving, water hating bipedal birds. Their hollow bones and feathers make them vulnerable to fire and blunt weapons. They are unique in having cheap level 0 healers. Unusually their leaders are not drawn from the ranks but form a separate class only selectable as leaders. Tamed Albatrosses to patrol the awful waters.
5) The Deep Ones - Slimy, slippery, blasphemous fish-frogs of the nameless design - living and horrible - have now been sighted on the edge of Wesnoth. Mutants who slowly evolve from human to monster these creatures are nothing to be trifled with! An all water faction they are quite capable of holding their own against the landlubbers.
6) Jephrifs live far up in the sky, miles above land. Away from even the most basic things most other races take for granted, such as solid ground, their society developed to be quite alien indeed. In recent times, jephrifs began descending from the skies to participate in combat against other races - apparently for their own amusement, seeing life as a game.
- Player UMC Reviews
- Walkthroughs for user-made campaigns
- forum thread for this page
- Guide to user-made content (UMC) for Battle for Wesnoth 1.12
- Guide to user-made content (UMC) for Battle for Wesnoth 1.10
- thread discussing 1.8 UMC that wasn't ported to 1.10
- thread discussing all UMC that hasn't been ported to 1.14
- the addon server