- Hi Celtic Minstrel! Sure, I'll do that. I have been admittedly lazy in this regard, as I was so keen to get the lore up as quickly as possible. I'll add some documentation over the next few days. Sub2pewds (talk) 17:32, 9 July 2019 (UTC)
TRoW scenarios that shouldn't take the page for their name
Thanks for adding all of this documentation. There's a couple of TRoW scenarios that I think should have "_(scenario)" in their article name:
- The Fall, the other meaning being Timeline_of_Wesnoth#After_the_Fall
- A New Land (currently a redlink), the other meaning being one of the multiplayer scenarios that frequently gets played on the official server
- The Ka'lian (currently a redlink), the elvish council in Wesmere which appears in several campaigns
There's at least two meanings to The Dragon, but they're both scenarios (the other is in SoF).
- Thanks Octalot. I will respond to each of these in turn.
- The Fall: This one, I reckon can remain. You are right to point out the other meaning, but upon inspection of the Under the Burning Suns campaign, it seems it has a more full name... the Great Fall. I would advise that The Fall remains the title of the scenario and a hatnote is added to the top of the page pointing to another page titled Great Fall. Thoughts?
- A New Land: I think I concur. I was aware of the scenario, and wasn't sure if we would ever create a page for it, as it isn't exactly canon, per se. But I'll concede vanilla Wesnoth maps merit their own page.
- The Ka'lian: Yeah, you're definitely right about this one.
- By the way, I don't have admin capabilities, so I can't move pages. I don't want to create new pages and clear old ones if I can avoid it, as it deletes edit history, which is undesirable. If you can help, or know someone who can, it would be very much appreciated. Sub2pewds (talk) 22:26, 25 July 2019 (UTC)
- Makes sense to me, the list of admins is at https://forums.wesnoth.org/memberlist.php?mode=group&g=6659
- As well as being an admin, shadowm is author of two well-known but non-canon campaigns set after the Fall; she'd probably be able to tell us more about whether it should be "the Fall" or "the Great Fall". OTOH, now that The Fall exists I concur that it should stay as the TRoW version.
- Okay. I've posted on the forums. shadowm usually seems responsive there, so hopefully she'll comment. And thanks for the admin list. I haven't yet wanted to move anything very big, but I have left some pages around by accident that I didn't have permission to delete or move, specifically these pages:
- Sub2pewds (talk) 03:51, 27 July 2019 (UTC)
- For the record, if you want to move a page, just ask Vultraz, shadowm, or one of the other admins with that permission. —Celtic Minstrel (talk) 04:34, 27 July 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks Celtic Minstrel. I suspect Pentarctagon would be the ideal person to talk to, given he/she seems to be the most active admin on the wiki. I don't have anything that currently needs moving, although it would be great to see the candidates for deletion culled. Stuff has been sitting in there for at least five years, such as this article. The four links I listed above (Category:Mermen, Infobox Character, S-end, and S-start) are among those pending deletion. I'll let Pentarctagon know via their talk page. sub2pewds (talk) 08:41, 27 July 2019 (UTC)
(I'm not a moderator, this is just an opinion from another Wiki user.) I like the amount of effort that you're putting in to the TRoW pages, but feel having a page for every orc leader is too much. I'd say that "was an enemy leader in a kill-enemy-leaders scenario, said something, died" isn't notable enough to have a page separate from the scenario. Octalot (talk) 12:24, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
- Hi Octalot. To this point, my reasons for including pages for the orcish leaders have been in part personal preference. Another motivation was observing particularly successful game wiki sites, such as wow.gamepedia.com (see Venim Iceblade for example), which generally considers being named in-game as sufficient criteria for inclusion. What I would consider notable on this wiki would probably include all explicitly mentioned characters from the mainline campaigns, just because it is such a clear-cut rule, but if the Wesnoth community decide that this is too broad, so be it.
- I'd be interested to hear what you would support in terms of notability criteria. I have had to make a similar criteria for this template, obviously preventing an endless list of characters in the navbox. A similar metric would need to be made for general inclusion. It would need to be well-defined in order to prevent ambiguity over whether or not an article should be included.
- Please note that I am probably not the best person to write such a guideline, simply given that how strict it is would affect how many of my articles would be deleted, i.e. I'm biased. If one is passed, I am happy to take up the task of making a list of articles to be deleted and removing all relevant links. sub2pewds (talk) 20:05, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
Midlands to Swamp
At the moment I'm waiting for feedback from Zookeeper, but I've opened a pull request to change the first diverging campaign path so that the player always gets a chance to meet Minister Edren. If the player chooses The Midlands, then after meeting Sir Ladoc Haldric realises that he has to backtrack and go through the Swamp of Esten anyway.
Given our completely different perspectives on the game, I'd appreciate your feedback.
- I'll try to give a considered response on the pull request conversation. Thanks for bringing this discussion to my attention. sub2pewds (talk) 21:56, 11 October 2019 (UTC)
Wings of Victory dropped from mainline
Hi, and sorry that you spend time working on Wiki pages for WoV after TRoW. I don't know what will happen to the Wiki pages, but the campaign itself has been thrown out of mainline.
- Octalot: Hmmm... that is a shame. But that was my risk to take. Whether people want to delete those pages for WoV that I've written is up to them. At any rate, I decided a month ago to stop editing the wiki once the Wings of Victory pages were complete.
- In other words, it's time for me to say goodbye. It's been nearly a year of editing, and I'm very happy with the quality of the articles I made. Sadly, I don't expect them to be maintained or built upon, as nobody has shown interest in doing so. Fair enough. It is very time consuming. I hope nobody interprets anything I've said as upset or bitter, and I wish everyone all the best. sub2pewds (talk) 21:32, 3 January 2020 (UTC)