Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based fantasy strategy game.
Defeat all enemy leaders using a well-chosen cadre of troops, taking care to manage your resources of gold and villages. All units have their own strengths and weaknesses; to win, deploy your forces to their best advantage while denying your foes the chance to do the same. As units gain experience, they acquire new abilities and become more powerful. Play in your own language and test your skill against a smart computer opponent, or join Wesnoth's large community of on-line players. Create your own custom units, scenarios or campaigns, and share them with others.
Battle for Wesnoth is released under the GPL. Prebuilt packages are available for most operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux, or you can build your own from source code.
Getting the Game
- Download - get the most recent source-files and many binaries
- CompilingWesnoth - on Unix, Mac, Windows, GNU/Linux, PDAs, ...
- DebuggingWesnoth - on GNU/Linux and Unix-like systems
- WesnothOnLinuxPDAs - on the Qtopia/OPIE and thepdaXrom/Zaurus C series
Playing the Game (Play)
For New Players
- GettingStarted - read me first!
- WesnothManual - the rules
- MainlineScenarios - walkthroughs for the game-supplied campaigns
For Not-So-New Players
- AdvancedTactics - beating the AI and other people
- MultiplayerServers - where to play against other people online
- HotKeysSystem - keyboard shortcuts
- CommandMode - commands you can use in-game
- ServerAdministration - commands that authenticated users can use to administer the server
- Units - Units advancement trees and stats
- RaceDescriptions - Elves, Humans, Dwarves, Orcs, Drakes, Undead, Others
- Complete_Faction_List_(unfinished) - list all user made factions
- Wesnoth Acronyms (by category) - common wesnothian acronyms explained
- Wesnoth Acronyms (alphabetic) - common wesnothian acronyms explained
Tweaking the Game (Create)
- UserScenarios - user-written scenarios, campaigns and game modifications
- ReferenceWML and AlphabeticalWML - all about Wesnoth Markup Language
- ReferencePythonAPI - upcoming Python interface for AI
- BuildingCampaigns - how to make your own single player campaigns
- MultiplayerCampaigns - how to make your own multiplayer campaigns
- BuildingScenarios - how to make your own scenarios
- BuildingUnits - how to make your own units
- UnitAnalysis - tool to analyze units
- WesnothMapEditor - summary of controls
- ExternalUtilities - scripts to help create scenarios, campaigns, and graphics
- Art Tutorials - help in creating art
- GraphicLibrary - unit and terrain images posted on the forums
- Tiles_Status - terrain tiles: proposed and in progress.
Improving the Game
- ReportingBugs - use Gna
- To submit a feature request, use http://bugs.wesnoth.org
- FrequentlyProposedIdeas - before you propose an idea, check here!
- DeveloperResources - useful links
- Changelog - the most recent changes made to the game
- WesnothSVN - accessing the source code
- HackingWesnoth - guide for programmers
- CodingStandards - for programmers
- UnitDescriptionRewriting - coordinating the revision
- Missing unit animations and sounds - what's available and what's missing
- WritingYourOwnAI - write a C++ plugin
- ThemeSystem - customizing the screen layout for the game and the editor
- ReleasingWesnoth - steps to follow to release a new version
- WesnothPackagersGuide - guidelines for packaging Wesnoth for different platforms
- GettextForTranslators - how to translate Wesnoth under GetText
- WesnothTranslations - 11 complete, 2 almost complete, 7 more than halfway, 10 partial
- WesCamp - a project for translating user-made campaigns
About the Game
- WesnothPhilosophy - Dave on Wesnoth
- WesnothHistory - the Ages of Wesnoth
- WesnothGeography - description of Wesnoth and surrounding lands
- WesnothReviews - third party reviews of Wesnoth
- #wesnoth - our IRC channel
- Donate or buy Wesnoth merchandise.
- Trailer - the Wesnoth trailer
- WesnothLSM - presentation at LSM
- Map of Wesnoth player locations - add yourself to the map!
- Wikipedia entry for Wesnoth