The Wesnoth Markup Language
The Wesnoth Markup Language (WML) is used to code almost everything in Wesnoth, including scenarios, units, savefiles, and the user interface layout.
Note: this reference may contain slight inaccuracies, might not list all existing keys and tags or might contain some deprecated syntax. If you find that this reference doesn't give you the answer to how to implement some feature in WML, the most reliable way is to look at the WML code of existing units and campaigns that have done so.
How WML works
- PreprocessorRef the WML preprocessor syntax
- UtilWML utility macros defined in utils.cfg
- SyntaxWML the language syntax.
- VariablesWML how to use WML variables
- GameConfigWML the top level [game_config] tag
- UnitsWML the top level [units] tag
- CampaignWML the top level [campaign] tag
- ScenarioWML the top level tags [scenario], [multiplayer], [test], and [tutorial]
- SavefileWML a description of the format of savegames
- PblWML a description of the format of server-uploadable campaigns
- EraWML the top level [era] tag
- TerrainWML the top level [terrain] tag
- TerrainGraphicsWML, the top level [terrain_graphics] tag
- ThemeWML the top level [theme] tag
- LanguageWML the top level [language] tag
- HelpWML the top level [help] tag
- BinaryPathWML the top level [binary_path] tag
- FontsWML the top level [fonts] tag
- EventWML how to describe an event
- FilterWML the construct to filter on units, locations, and weapons
- DirectActionsWML actions that directly affect gameplay: for example creating a unit
- InternalActionsWML actions that WML uses internally: for example storing a variable
- InterfaceActionsWML actions that do not affect gameplay: for example displaying a message
- SingleUnitWML how to describe a unit
- AiWML how to describe parameters for AI
- EffectWML the construct to modify a unit
- AbilitiesWML a list of the different abilities a unit or weapon can have
- DescriptionWML the structure of WML coded menus like the difficulty chooser of campaigns
- ReferenceWMLSyntax how this wiki and the pages it links to should be formatted
- ConventionsWML how to make your WML more readable
- UsefulWMLFragments Various pieces of WML for various purposes. If you have some WML you're proud of that you think others can use, add it here.
- CommandMode commands are not strictly speaking part of WML, these could be a little hard to find so there's a link here.
- CampaignServerWML is used when managing contributed campaigns on the campaign server.
- ImagePathFunctionWML is used when applying the team-color function to images.
- BinaryWML how WML is sent over the network