In the beginning, there was nothing but one single-player campaign. Now we have a multiplayer server able to host over 1000 players at a time.
Although Wesnoth is an open-source game and the multiplayer server is free to use for everyone, it doesn't mean we don't need rules. The following rules are here to give everyone a pleasant multiplayer experience.
- Be polite, especially with people you don't know.
- Abide by common chat rules: Don't spam or write all IN CAPS.
- Don't use potentially offensive nicks, map titles, labels, or chat. This includes cursing/swearing, offensive religious references, racism, or sexism.
- Don't abuse the server to market commercial and non-commercial venture. It is not an advertising service.
- there are often young children playing on the server, giving the abovementioned rules greater importance
In the Lobby
- The lobby chat area is used for arranging games, so try to avoid using it for general or private chat. Instead, move this chat into games, or use private messages.
- Read game titles. They sometimes contain valuable information (e.g. "reserved", "will take a long time", ...) and may have an impact on your decision whether to join a game or not.
- Only join the games you intend to finish.
As a Player
- Don't leave a game without prior warning (we know that you sometimes need/want to leave, but please let the other player(s) know in advance).
- Don't cheat.
As an Observer
- Respect the players. If you want to talk about the game, use the observer team-chat.
- Don't give away information to the players.
There is one exception to the above: if you are absolutely sure that only people you know will encounter your behaviour and you know they will be ok with it, go ahead...
- All players are free to put anyone on their ignore list
- All server moderators can ban you from the server until you have proven that you will not repeat the offending behavior again.
- The host is in charge of sorting out any issues and can kick/ban anyone from their game. However that does not mean they're allowed to kick/ban players because they're losing or similar abusive acts.
- The server moderators police the lobby but usually don't investigate in games unless they are convinced the offense goes beyond the scope of an individual game.
To get unbanned you need to contact the moderator who banned you in the first place and explain why s/he should unban you, but please make sure that s/he has a reason to do so, either by apology or by showing that you won't repeat your actions.
- If you need some guidance on using the multiplayer server, check our multiplayer tutorial.
- To ask for moderator assistance (or report an offender) in the lobby/game, use the /query adminmsg command.
Asking on IRC
The #wesnoth-mp channel on irc.freenode.net is good place to ask for help related to the multiplayer server.
For help regarding other topics, try the #wesnoth channel.
For an introduction to IRC, we suggest this tutorial. Just remember that the server-network to connect to is freenode and the relevant channels are #wesnoth-mp and #wesnoth
This section contains some MP-related information you might be interested in.
The wesnoth multiplayer server supports several commands that can be helpful when dealing with the games and people that you meet. The most useful are:
|typed in a message box, either directly in lobby or by pressing 'm' in a game|
|/query adminmsg text||send a message 'text' to all available server moderators. (See this page for more /query commands.)|
|/m nick text||write a private message 'text' to 'nick' (identical to /msg or /whisper) (also by double-clicking the nick)|
|/friend nick||add 'nick' to your friendslist (so that 'nick' will be listed at the top of the lobby)|
|/ignore nick||add 'nick' to your ignorelist (so that 'nick' will be listed at the bottom of the lobby and you don't see messages written by 'nick')|
typed in a command box, by pressing ':' in a game
|control side nick||give 'nick' control over the side number 'side'|
|droid side on||give control of a side number 'side' to the computer AI. droid side switches between AI and human control|
|kick nick||remove player with 'nick' from the current game|
|ban nick||remove from and prevent further rejoining of player with name 'nick' from the current game (the player does not have to be in the game but on the server)|
|nosaves||turn off the autosaves function, can be helpful in speeding up things in large scenarios|
List of server moderators
You can contact any moderator or the entire moderator group using this forum page.
- Dragonking / deekay
- mysticX_th_unknown / mystic_x
- Wintermute (happygrue on IRC)