The game server runs on TCP port 15000 by default. To connect to the default server, click Multiplayer → Join Official Server. To connect to a specific port or server choose Multiplayer → Connect to Server and enter <server>:<port> where server and port correspond to the server address and port number you wish to connect to.
For the status of the various multiplayer servers as well as other Wesnoth resources, see the status page.
Usually supported versions include: the current stable release, the old stable release, the current development release, the previous development release (runs only periodically in the transition phase between releases).
Use of the default server is most common and most players will be on it. The alternate (server2 and server3) servers are most often used when the default one is down or having maintenance.
- • server.wesnoth.org
- Accepts up-to-date master builds and redirects other clients to the appropriate server according to their version, runs on the default port 15000. This is the default server.
- • server2.wesnoth.org (aka gonzo.dicp.de)
- Accepts up-to-date master builds and redirects other clients to the appropriate server according to their version, runs on the default port 15000.
- • server3.wesnoth.org (aka basilic.tuxfamily.org)
Alternate third-party servers
These are servers hosted by third parties and not officially maintained by the Wesnoth team. This list used to be much longer, but as of December 19th, 2014, the following three are the only ones able to be connected to.
- • allfex.org
- Located in germany. Everyone is welcome. Accepts 1.10.x versions of the game on default port 15000.
- • vesnod.ceata.org
- Trisquel 6 server located in Romania, maintained by Fundația Ceata. Accepts 1.10.x versions of the game on default port 15000.
- • linuxiuvat.de
- Debian GNU/Linux server in Germany. Everyone is welcome. Accepts all versions on default port 15000.
You can also set up a temporary server hosted on your own computer for the use of LAN games using the dedicated server software wesnothd. To start an instance, choose Multiplayer → Host Networked Game. Other users can then connect to it by inputting the IP address of the host machine under Connect to Server. As soon as all players disconnect, the local server will be shut down.