In the beginning, there was nothing but one single-player campaign. Now we have a multiplayer server able to host over 1000 players at a time.
Although Wesnoth is an open-source game and the multiplayer server is free to use for everyone it doesn't mean we don't need rules. The following rules are here to give everyone a pleasant multiplayer experience.
- Be polite, especially with people you don't know.
- Abide by common chat rules: Don't spam or write all in caps.
- Don't use potentially offensive nicks, map titles, labels, or chat. This includes cursing/swearing, offensive religious references, racism, or sexism.
- Don't abuse the server to market commercial and non-commercial venture. It is not an advertising service.
In the Lobby
- The lobby chatroom is used for arranging games, so try to avoid using it for general or private chat. Instead, move this chat into games, or use private messages. (more on chatting in the lobby)
- Read game titles. They sometimes contain valuable information (e.g., "reserved", "reload", "needs $era to play", ...) and may have an impact on your decision whether to join a game or not.
- Only join the games you intend to finish.
As a Player
- Don't leave a game without prior warning (we know that you sometimes need/want to leave, but please let the other player(s) know in advance).
- Don't cheat.
As an Observer
- Respect the players, use the observer team-chat to talk about the game.
- Don't give away information to the players.
There is one exception to the above: if you are absolutely sure that only people you know will encounter your behaviour and you know they will be ok with it, go ahead...
- All players are free to put anyone on their ignore list.
- All hosts are free to kick or ban players from their game. However that does not mean they're allowed to kick/ban players because they're losing/winning or other similar abusive acts. Use common sense and report violations since moderators won't be investigating otherwise.
- All server moderators can ban you from the server until you have proven that you will not repeat the offending behavior again.
To get unbanned you need to contact the moderator that banned you in the first place and explain why s/he should unban you, but please make sure that s/he has a reason to do so, either by apology or by showing that you wont repeat your actions.
The wesnoth multiplayer server supports a few commands that can be helpful when dealing with the games and people that you meet. The most useful are:
|To be typed in a message box, either directly in lobby or by pressing 'm' in a game
|/query adminmsg text||Send a message to all available server moderators. (See ServerAdministration for more /query commands.)|
|/me text||write 'text' as an action from you|
|/m nick text||write a private message 'text' to 'nick' (identical to /msg or /whisper)|
|/friend nick||add 'nick' to your friendslist (so that 'nick' will be listed at the top of the lobby)|
|/ignore nick||add 'nick' to your ignorelist (so that 'nick' will be listed at the bottom of the lobby and you don't see messages written by 'nick')|
|To be typed in a command box, by pressing ':' in a game
|control side nick||give 'nick' control over the side number 'side'|
|droid side (on/off)||give the computer AI control over the side number 'side'|
|kick nick||kick 'nick' from the game|
|ban nick||kick and ban 'nick' from the game (the player does not have to be in the game but on the server)|
|nosaves||turn off the autosaves function, can be helpful in speeding up things in large scenarios|
For more information see: CommandMode or type /help in the MP-lobby.
Where to look for help
IRC: The #wesnoth-mp channel on irc.freenode.net is good place to ask for help related to the multiplayer server.
There you can ask for general help or ask one of the server moderators to take action.
For an introduction to IRC check out irchelp.org's tutorial and remember that the server-network to connect to is freenode and the relevant channels are #wesnoth-mp and #wesnoth
List of current server moderators
You can contact all server moderators (as opposed to individuals) by forum PM; see this forum page for details.
- Dragonking / deekay
- Wintermute (happygrue on IRC)