- 1 Foreword
- 2 MP related features
- 3 WML related features
- 4 Improvements to FormulaAI
- 5 GUI related features
- 6 GUI2 related features
- 7 Miscellaneous
- 8 Bugs
- 9 See Also
This page is here to document easy to do coding tasks. It is not here to double the feature request database, and should only be filled by people that know the code well enough to judge the difficulty of a given task.
If you are such a person, you should feel free to edit this page.
If you're not, you should post a feature request and discuss your idea on the forum or IRC. A coder with better knowledge of the code might give you the green light to add your feature here.
Anybody should feel free to add "clues" to any tasks, that is entry points, traps to avoid, person to contact to discuss and so on.
If you plan to work on a feature, write your name at the bottom of the feature, with the date. Note that if you are too long at working on a feature I'll "free" it back (that is if you're not working on it. If you have problems implementing it, just tell us....)
--Boucman 20:48, 3 October 2006 (CEST)
Since bugs are sometimes a good opportunity to get a first idea of the code, i will add some here that are easy to fix as soon as i stumble upon them (the one i had in mind is fixed already ;-).
--Yogi Bear, 28 February 2008
Use different font for in-game chat
Since commas and dots are apparently hard to tell apart. As per FR #7470 
WML configurable village income / upkeep
Preferably as a [scenario], [side] or [campaign] keys. As per FR #6301 
Add support of [if] for [scenario]
As per FR #4539 
Make [have_unit] optionaly use full SUF
[have_unit] by default uses SUF but does not apply it to recall list. Introduce an optional key that will allow to lift that limitation.
Support for leaderless multiplayergames
Add support for the WML key victory_when_enemies_defeated= in the scenario tag during multiplayergames. (FR #8106)
See FutureWML; some ideas there are easier than others.
Improvements to FormulaAI
Add new formula functions, or minor improvements to the formula language. Make it easier to debug the formula language.
Note at the moment Mordante is working on a new GUI system, these changes will probably affect the way these items need to be implemented. Contact Mordante on IRC before starting to work on these.
--SkeletonCrew 14:04, 9 March 2008 (EDT)
- allow custom themes to display values of WML variables (FR #6209)
- hide the hourglass item from the statusbar when there is no timer
- show side number, name and team association information in the status table
- make games sortable in the lobby (open slots, total number of players, era, XP modifier, gold per village, fog/shroud)
- input history (chat, commands, ..) - note: rujasu is working on this feature
GUI2 is the new gui engine Mordante/SkeletonCrew is working on.
- Information on the wiki can be found here http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/GUIToolkit
- The source code is under src/gui/
- The configuration config files are under data/gui/default
Some tasks need the --new-widgets since the code is only shown in the experimental mode. Tasks which need this switch have the * in the title.
Generic yes/no ok/cancel dialog
There's already a generic OK dialog
This dialog should have the option to show a cancel button as well and also let the caller of the dialog determine the text of the button. Maybe more buttons (4 in total) can be added to make the dialog more flexible.
The minimap widget has already been made but is broken.
The drawing code has been rewritten, but this widget hasn't been updated it's used in the MP connection dialog (which needs more work).
* Savegame dialog
This is a new dialog to write and requires the minimap code to be fixed first. The dialog should mimic the current dialog. Sorting of a listbox and the proper alignment of the columns is not important (the engine doesn't support this yet). The code should only be used when --new-widgets is used as start switch since we're in a feature freeze at the moment.
* Title screen
A start has been made for the new titlescreen
This should be improved to include the buttons and alignment of the current title screen. The 'roll-over' image is not part of this task.
Arrow keys for the slider
There's a new slider widget, but it doesn't support the keyboard yet. gui/widgets/slider.[c|h]pp
Clicking on the widget should capture the keyboard and then arrow left/right should move one step even if not all steps are visible.
There are some issues with the sizing of a slider. gui/widgets/slider.[c|h]pp
In a layout step it needs to try to shrink itself, not entirely sure where or how yet, best ask mordante on irc.
More powerful village naming
Adding mountain names and other features to village names, having a second random name in village names
Currently the village naming engine has a very good structure that could allow more powerfull names to be generated. Understanding how it works should be quite easy, and a few usefull improvements could be added.
- Currently villages can use lake names and river names, this should be extended to other features like bridges, swamps, mountains etc...
- It would be nice to have a separate list of "first sylabus" and "last sylabus" for naming. That's not really needed in english, but some translations could use it
- Again, it is common to have villages with more than one "random" word in them. having a $name2 variable would be nice
- New debug command functionality (setting additional status.variables, possibly terrain)