The BFW forum is a good way to distribute small creations, like single multiplayer maps. Larger creations, like multiplayer eras or campaigns, should be compressed before uploading them. Note that you may encounter a size limit on attachments.
Also, there is a legal announcement that you should read before distributing anything on the forum. Basically, by posting you say that you own the license to what you are posting, and that you are licensing it under the General Public License.
The Add-on Server
The add-on server is the preferred way to distribute your creations, but it is more suited for larger projects. It currently lacks advanced organization features such as reviewing (although it does have a filter text box), so adding hundreds of little things makes it harder to find anything. Basically, the server should not be used to post single maps, units, songs, or artwork, but map packs, campaigns, entire eras, music packs, and unit packs are fine.
Once you are ready to publish, here is how you access the add-on server:
- Open Wesnoth
- Select "Add-ons" from the main menu
- Connect to the default add-ons.wesnoth.org add-on server
- Select "Publish add-on: Your Add-on Name" (the last entry in the list of add-ons)
Anything you distribute on the server will be uploaded from and downloaded to the userdata/data/add-ons directory regardless of what it is (units, maps, campaign, etc). For this reason, you need three things in the add-ons directory to distribute via the server:
- A folder, for example MyCampaign
- A .cfg file MyCampaign/_main.cfg
- A .pbl file MyCampaign.pbl or MyCampaign/_server.pbl
Note that only the contents of your add-on directory (in this case, MyCampaign) will get uploaded, nothing else, so you need to have all the necessary files inside that directory.
The following files and directories will not be uploaded: those that begin with '.' and those that end in '~'. Also, the GNU GPL version 2 will be added in the file COPYING.txt.
- General information about the .pbl file - It has a campaign flavor, but it is adaptable to any content
- Syntax reference for the .pbl file
- Maps - see Building Maps
- Campaign - see Building Campaigns
- Multiplayer era - see Building MP Era
- Unit pack - see Building Units
Whenever you upload or update your content pack, you will have to say "OK" to this statement: "All add-ons uploaded to this server must be licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). By uploading content to this server, you certify that you have the right to place the content under the conditions of the GPL, and choose to do so."