The BFW forum is a good way to distribute small creations, like single multiplayer maps. Larger creations, like unit packs or campaigns, should be compressed before uploading them. Note that you may encounter a size limit on attachments.
Also, there is a legal announcement that you should read before distributing anything on the forum. Basically, by posting you say that you own the license to what you are posting, and that you are licensing it under the General Public License.
The Campaign Server
The campaign server is the preferred way to distribute your creations, but it is more suited for larger projects. It currently lacks advanced organization features such as filtering and reviewing, so adding hundreds of little things makes it harder to find anything. Basically, the server should not be used to post single maps, units, songs, or artwork, but map packs, campaigns, entire eras, music packs, and unit packs are fine.
Once you are ready to publish, here is how you access the campaign server:
- Open Wesnoth
- Select "Campaign" from the main menu
- Select "Get More Campaigns" (the last entry in the list of campaigns)
- Select "Publish Campaign: Your Campaign Name" (the last entry in the list of campaigns)
Anything you distribute on the server will be upload from and downloaded to the userdata/data/campaigns directory regardless of what it is (units, maps, campaign, etc). For this reason, you need three things in the campaigns directory to distribute via the server:
- A .cfg file, for example MyCampaign.cfg
- A .pbl file, for example MyCampaign.pbl
- A folder, for example MyCampaign
- General information about the .pbl file - It has a campaign flavor, but it is adaptable to any content
- Syntax reference for the .pbl file
- Campaign - see the Buidling Campaigns Article
- Multiplayer era - see the MP Era Article
- Unit pack - see the Units Article
- Map pack - see the