Interested in creating your own scenarios and campaigns? One of Wesnoth's best features is its extensibility. Players can create new maps, units, races, scenarios, art, music, and even entire campaigns. Access to the "guts" of the game is both simple and difficult; if you have an ASCII text editor you have everything you need to build your own world. However, learning the Wesnoth Markup Language (WML) takes some effort. This section will guide you through the process of creating and distributing your own content.
It should also be noted that we need a lot of help creating artwork for the core of the game. The current projects we are working on are listed here. We'll happily help you out, if you take a swing at them.
Read this first!
Before you modify or add anything, it is important to understand how the game stores and organizes its data. This article will explain the game's directory structure and introduce the userdata directory.
What can I create, and how?
- Maps - the layout of terrain tiles
- Scenarios - a scenario makes things happen on a map, making it playable
- Campaigns - how to put it all together into a campaign
- Multiplayer Maps and Scenarios - a specialized look at maps and scenarios
- Multiplayer factions and eras
- Art - complete with tutorials!
- Distributing content - all about the campaign server
- Translations - work on translating Wesnoth
What have others done?
Quick descriptions of the campaigns and scenarios that have been published on the campaign server.
This there are a multitude multiplayer maps and discussion of the campaigns on the Wesnoth forum
The world of Wesnoth
Many campaigns do not take place in Wesnoth, but many do. There is definitely a certain flavor to campaigns that are intended to take place somewhere in the world of Wesnoth. Stake out a time period or a map locale and tell a story.
- External Utilities - some extra tools for easier creating stuff
- WML Reference - a quicklink
- FAQ - if you have a question, post it
- Campaign server web interface - An alternate way to download user campaigns
- Status of User Scenarios - Lists which usercampaigns are working and which ones are broken