Difference between revisions of "MP CodeOfConduct"
m (Added a link to create page MP_Tutorial)
m (→List of current server moderators)
|Line 96:||Line 96:|
Revision as of 01:37, 9 January 2009
In the beginning there was this one single-player campaign HttT, now we have a beautiful, shiny new multiplayer server that we aim to be able to host over 1000 players at a time. So yes the community has grown.
That's a good thing™.
Although Wesnoth is an open-source game and the multiplayer server is free to use for everyone it doesn't mean we don't need rules. The following rules are here to give everyone a pleasant multiplayer experience.
What we expect you to do
- Abide by common chat rules: Don't spam, write all in caps or be insulting to other players.
- Be polite, especially with people you don't know.
- Listen to the other players, often they are smart and friendly persons who want to help.
- The lobby provides a simple chat interface. Use it to arrange games but try not to use it for general or private chat. Instead, move this chat into games.
- Only join the games you intend to finish.
- Read game titles. They sometimes contain valuable information (e.g., "reserved", "reload", "needs $era to play", ...) and may have an impact on your decision whether to join a game or not.
- As an observer respect the players, use the observer team-chat to talk about the game.
What we expect you not to do
- Don't use potentially offensive nicks, map titles, labels, or chat. This includes cursing/swearing, offensive religious references, racism, or sexism.
- Don't use nicknames you know are "owned" by others. Currently there are no accounts on the multiplayer stable server but that does not mean you are free to take nicknames regularly used by others. A good idea to help show that you "own" a nickname is to make a forum account with your nick when you start playing wesnoth.
- Don't leave a game without prior warning (we know that you sometimes need/want to leave, but please let the other player(s) know in advance).
- Don't give away information to the players when you are an observer.
- Don't cheat.
There is one exception to the above: if you are absolutely sure that only people you know will encounter your behaviour and you know they will be ok with it, go ahead...
- All players are free to put anyone on their ignore list.
- All hosts are free to kick or ban players from their game.
- All server moderators can ban you from the server until you have proven that you will not repeat the offending behavior again.
To get unbanned you need to contact the moderator that banned you in the first place and explain why s/he should unban you, but please make sure that s/he has a reason to do so, either by apology or by showing that you wont repeat your actions.
The wesnoth multiplayer server supports a few commands that can be helpful when dealing with the games and people that you meet. The most useful are:
|To be typed in a message box, either directly in lobby or by pressing 'm' in a game|
|/me text||write 'text' as an action from you|
|/msg nick text||write a private message 'text' to 'nick'|
|/list addfriend nick||add 'nick' to your friendslist (so that 'nick' will be listed at the top of the lobby)|
|/list addignore nick||add 'nick' to your ignorelist (so that 'nick' will be listed at the bottom of the lobby and you don't see messages written by 'nick')|
|To be typed in a command box, by pressing ':' in a game|
|control side nick||give 'nick' control over the side number 'side'|
|kick nick||kick 'nick' from the game|
|ban nick||kick and ban 'nick' from the game (the player does not have to be in the game but on the server)|
|nosaves||turn off the autosaves function, can be helpful in speeding up things in large scenarios|
For more information see: CommandMode and by typing /help in the MP-lobby.
Where to look for help
IRC: The #wesnoth-mp channel on irc.freenode.org is good place to ask for help related to the multiplayer server.
There you can ask for general help or ask one of the server moderators to take action.
For an introduction to IRC check out irchelp.org's tutorial and remember that the server-network to connect to is freenode and the relevant channels are #wesnoth-mp and #wesnoth
List of current server moderators
- Wintermute (happygrue on IRC)