- 1 Foreword
- 2 MP related features
- 3 WML related features
- 3.1 Make map-related FormulaAI functions accessible to WML
- 3.2 WML configurable village income / upkeep
- 3.3 Add support of [if] for [scenario]
- 3.4 Side-specific results
- 3.5 Support for leaderless multiplayergames
- 3.6 Support for standalone multiplayer scenarios
- 3.7 Support variable recall cost in wml
- 3.8 Other Ideas
- 4 Improvements to AI
- 4.1 AI Batch testing
- 4.2 Add more ai actions
- 4.3 write a (fai or c++ or lua) candidate action for leader control
- 4.4 write a (fai or c++ or lua) candidate action for using leadership/illuminate
- 4.5 write a (fai or c++ or lua) candidate action for healer control
- 4.6 berserker improvement
- 4.7 power projection improvement
- 5 GUI related features
- 6 GUI2 related features
- 7 Miscellaneous
- 8 Bugs
- 9 See Also
This page is here to document easy to do coding tasks. It is not here to double the feature request database, and should only be filled by people that know the code well enough to judge the difficulty of a given task.
If you are such a person, you should feel free to edit this page.
If you're not, you should post a feature request and discuss your idea on the forum or IRC. A coder with better knowledge of the code might give you the green light to add your feature here.
Anybody should feel free to add "clues" to any tasks, that is entry points, traps to avoid, person to contact to discuss and so on.
If you plan to work on a feature, write your name at the bottom of the feature, with the date. Note that if you are too long at working on a feature I'll "free" it back (that is if you're not working on it. If you have problems implementing it, just tell us....)
--Boucman 20:48, 3 October 2006 (CEST)
Since bugs are sometimes a good opportunity to get a first idea of the code, i will add some here that are easy to fix as soon as i stumble upon them (the one i had in mind is fixed already ;-).
--Yogi Bear, 28 February 2008
Add possibility to give reason for "ignore"
As per FR #16001 
As described in this forum post , some of the FormulaAI functions should be made available as core functions instead of AI only functions, e.g. distance_between(). Full list of FormulaAI functions is available here: 
WML configurable village income / upkeep
Preferably as a [scenario], [side] or [campaign] keys. As per FR #6301 .
--Gabba 19 March 2012 : This is currently assigned to me, but as I lack time and interest to finish integrating this, students are welcome to take up the current patch and finish the job: https://gna.org/patch/?1381
Add support of [if] for [scenario]
As per FR #4539 
--Boucman 08:58, 28 February 2010 (UTC) Patch seems abandonned, but can be used for further work feel free to take over the FR
Support for leaderless multiplayergames
Support for standalone multiplayer scenarios
There used to be support for standalone scenarios in the userdata tree, in reorganising the trees this feature got lost and an add-on is now required to add a scenario. Re-add this feature. It is probably a good idea to mirror the mainline multiplayer tree.
Support variable recall cost in wml
the syntax needs to be discussed and refined, but the overall idea is good
make sure to update whiteboard to handle this correctly
See FutureWML; some ideas there are easier than others.
Improvements to AI
Fix some todos, add new formula functions, or do minor improvements to the formula language. Make it easier to debug the formula language, add more ai components.
Please discuss these with Crab, Dragonking, Sirp or Boucman
AI Batch testing
Finish patch #1169 
Add more ai actions
Add an ai action (and add formula_ai function to do that) to set a goto on a unit
Add an ai action (and add formula_ai function to do that) to send a chat message to a player
Add an ai action to set formula ai variable (convert existing code from formula_ai)
Add an ai action to set formula ai unit variable (convert existing code from formula_ai)
Add an ai action (and add formula_ai function to do that) to fire a WML event
write a (fai or c++ or lua) candidate action for leader control
write a (fai or c++ or lua) candidate action for using leadership/illuminate
special handling of units with leadership to have them support units. Only do it if it actually is useful (less hits needed to kill the unit) and ability to help multiple units in a single turn (assuming enough MP)
write a (fai or c++ or lua) candidate action for healer control
Handle units with healing power, moving them at places where they can provide the most healing
The default AI's strategy of attacking as much as possible is very bad with berserker... A simple AI that would prevent the berserker from attacking (and keeping him close to fight without being exposed) and attack when the chance to kill is high enough would be an interesting addition
power projection improvement
AI sometimes wants to calculate 'how much firepower can enemy bring on location X'. in doing so, it considers enemy possible moves, time of day, attacks, enemy defense, etc. There is specific problem with 'time_of_day' used in that calculation -sometimes, it's really needed to check 'time of day for NEXT turn', not time of day for THIS turn.(since the time of day might change next turn).
power_projection must be fixed to account for the possibility of time_of_day being different.
Note that some enemies might go after us (so, still on THIS turn), and some - before us (so, their next turn will be on NEXT turn).
Note at the moment Mordante is working on a new GUI system, these changes will probably affect the way these items need to be implemented. Contact Mordante on IRC before starting to work on these.
--SkeletonCrew 14:04, 9 March 2008 (EDT)
- allow custom themes to display values of WML variables (FR #6209)
- hide the hourglass item from the statusbar when there is no timer
- show side number, name and team association information in the status table
- make games sortable in the lobby (open slots, total number of players, era, XP modifier, gold per village, fog/shroud)
- input history (chat, commands, ..) - note: rujasu is working on this feature
Story Screen improvements
see http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=439346#p439346 for the suggestion and https://gna.org/patch/?1587 for a patch that already touched that area heavily
GUI2 is the new gui engine Mordante/SkeletonCrew is working on.
- Information on the wiki can be found here http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/GUIToolkit
- The source code is under src/gui/
- The configuration config files are under data/gui/default
Some tasks need the --new-widgets since the code is only shown in the experimental mode. Tasks which need this switch have the * in the title.
At the moment there are no easy tasks available.
More powerful village naming
Adding mountain names and other features to village names, having a second random name in village names
Currently the village naming engine has a very good structure that could allow more powerfull names to be generated. Understanding how it works should be quite easy, and a few usefull improvements could be added.
- Currently villages can use lake names and river names, this should be extended to other features like bridges, swamps, mountains etc...
- It would be nice to have a separate list of "first sylabus" and "last sylabus" for naming. That's not really needed in english, but some translations could use it
- Again, it is common to have villages with more than one "random" word in them. having a $name2 variable would be nice
- New debug command functionality (setting additional status.variables, possibly terrain)
Option to disable terrain animations globally
please think a little about use cases (editor, game etc...)
ask boucman for details
Add a cycle parameter to the unit animation WML
Animations have a "cycle" internal parameter that decides if the animation loops when it finishes.
Right now that parameter is decided purely by the engine depending on the circumstances, but it would make sense to move it to a frame paramter.
This task is mainly to add a new boolean parameter in the particle class and using/exposing it to WML in a way similar to a unit_frame
ask boucman for details