Welcome to the Battle for Wesnoth downloads page. The BFW project team only officially releases the source code. Binary packages are only provided by community volunteers and hosted here.
If the latest binaries are not currently available for your OS, please check back in a few days to see if they have been placed here. Packagers have been informed of the release, please be patient. In the meantime, read the FAQ.
Stable (1.0.x branch)
The stable files are meant to be used as a stable and rather balanced version of the game. Each version of the 1.0.x branch is compatible to each other. This will not happen in the development branch.
Version 1.0.2 is the latest stable version, updated with several important bugfixes. This version is recommended for most players since the 1.0.x online multiplayer community is very large and user-made campaign server has a robust content selection.
- Current stable version (1.0.2, 42.3MB)
- There are specific binaries for many different GNU/Linux Distributions. Not all are always up to date with the current release. Please have a look at the Linux binary page for more informations about the binaries for your Distribution.
Mac OS X
- Current stable version (1.0.2, PPC, 53.6 MB)
- Current stable version - alternate (1.0.2, PPC, 44MB)
- Current stable version - lite (1.0.2, PPC, no art or music, 25MB)
- Current stable version (1.0.2, 37.0MB)
- /usr/ports/games/wesnoth (1.0.1, 37.3MB)
Special note for 1.1.8-1.1.11
These versions are "stable beta" or "release candidate" versions. They exist so we can iron out bugs, but they will be very close to the final stable 1.2 release. They are generally balanced, stable, and bug-free, but we need your help to catch any remaining problems (which may or may not exist). Do not be afraid to download or play one of these later versions. The next paragraph is our "stock" paragraph about the development version, but because it is so late in the development cycle it's currently not 100% true (whereas it was very true for earlier releases).
Version 1.1.x is the latest development version, boasting updated graphics and new exciting features. However, there may be occasional bugs or performance problems in the development versions since heavy changes are taking place all the time. For balanced and stable gaming, it is recommended you use the latest version of the 1.0.x branch. This version is recommended for coders and campaign developers, as well as those who want to preview the future of Wesnoth.
- Current Version (1.1.11, 73 MB)
- Previous Version (1.1.10, 72 MB)
- Compiling Guide - how to compile the source code
Mac OS X
- Current Version (1.1.11, Universal, 75.6MB)
- Current Version - lite (1.1.11, Universal, no art or music, 45.7MB)
- Previous Version (1.1.10, Universal, 74MB
- Previous Version - lite (1.1.10, Universal, no art or music, 44.1MB)
- There are binaries for many different GNU/Linux Distributions. Not all are always up to date with the current release. Please have a look at the Linux binary page for more information about the binaries for your Distribution.
OS/2 & eComStation
- Previous Version (1.1.8, 66MB)
- md5sum for current source code
- Xdelta for the source code
- SourceForge page for current and all previous versions
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. See the GNU General Public License for more details.