Interested in creating your own scenarios and campaigns? One of Wesnoth's best features is its extensibility. Players can create new maps, units, races, scenarios, art, music, and even entire campaigns. Access to the "guts" of the game is both simple and difficult; if you have an ASCII text editor you have everything you need to build your own world. However, learning the Wesnoth Markup Language (WML) takes some effort. This section will guide you through the process of creating and distributing your own content.
It should also be noted that we need a lot of help creating artwork for the core of the game. The current projects we are working on are listed here. We'll happily help you out, if you take a swing at them.
Read this first!
Before you modify or add anything, it is important to understand how the game stores and organizes its data. This article will explain the game's directory structure and introduce the userdata directory.
What can I create, and how?
- Maps - the layout of terrain tiles
- Scenarios - a scenario makes things happen on a map, making it playable
- Campaigns - how to put it all together into a campaign
- Multiplayer Maps and Scenarios - a specialized look at maps and scenarios
- Multiplayer Campaigns - making a campaign accessible in multiplayer
- Distributing content - all about the campaign server
- Maintenance tools - tools for helping you sanity-check and maintain campaigns.
What have others done?
There are a multitude of multiplayer maps and discussion of the campaigns on the Wesnoth forum
If you want to be creative without having to invent an entire new campaign, see this thread on abandoned campaigns. You should be able to pick one of these up and complete it with much less effort than doing an all-new one.
The world of Wesnoth
Not all campaigns take place in Wesnoth, but many do. There is definitely a certain flavor to campaigns that are intended to take place somewhere in the world of Wesnoth. Stake out a time period or a map locale and tell a story.
- The history of Wesnoth
- The geography of Wesnoth
- The races of creatures in Wesnoth
- Wesnothian poetry
- Fan fiction