From The Battle for Wesnoth Wiki
Abilities and their effects
There are two types of abilities: ones that apply to units (called abilities) and weapon-based (called specials). A unit may have multiple abilities, but each attack can only have at most one special.
Normal abilities (for BFW 1.0)
|ambush||the unit becomes invisible on forest. Invisible units cannot be seen by enemies and do not possess zone of control, although if an enemy moves next to one, it becomes visible again.|
|cures||unit will heal curer_heals_per_turn (see GameConfigWML) hp to all neighbours, up to a total of cure_amount. If a neighbour is poisoned, it will cure the poison instead of healing.|
|heals||unit will heal healer_heals_per_turn (see GameConfigWML) hp to all neighbours, up to a total of heal_amount. If a neighbour is poisoned, it will prevent the poison's effect instead of healing.|
|illuminates||all neighbouring hex will be "illuminated", in other words have a different time of day (See TimeWML). Typically, this will be one step brighter.|
|leadership||the unit will increase the damage of all neighbouring units by +25% per level difference. (If the neighbouring unit is of a higher level, this effect is negated.)|
|nightstalk||the unit becomes invisible during night.|
|regenerates||the unit will heal itself 8 hp per turn. If it is poisoned, it will remove the poison instead of healing.|
|skirmisher||the unit ignores zone of control when moving, but still cannot move directly through an enemy unit|
|steadfast||the unit takes half normal damage when it did not initiate the attack.|
|teleport||the unit can move between any two allied villages for one move point|
Normal abilities Template:DevFeature
- 'submerge' the unit becomes invisible in deep water.
- 'charge' when attacking, both this weapon and defender get double damage.
- 'poison' when this weapon hits, the defender becomes poisoned (see [status], SingleUnitWML).
- 'slow' when this weapon hits, the defender becomes slowed (see [status], SingleUnitWML).
- 'stone' when this weapon hits, the defender turns to stone (see [status], SingleUnitWML).
- 'magical' this weapon always has a 70% chance of hitting.
- 'marksman' when attacking, this weapon has a minimum of 60% chance of hitting.
- 'drain' The controller of this weapon gains health equal to half the damage done (rounded down) whenever this attack hits.
- 'plague' The controller of this weapon is copied onto the tile that any unit this attack killed was on.
- 'backstab' doubles damage whenever there is a unit on the opposite side (location) of the defending unit that distracts it. In 1.0.x the distracting unit must be on the same side (player) as the attacker. Template:DevFeature: the distracting unit must be an enemy of the defending unit and not incapacitated (e.g. turned to stone).
- 'firststrike' when this weapon is used to defend, the battle proceeds as if it were the attacker (i.e. it attacks first).
- 'berserk' forces the combat to continue until either the attacker or the defender is killed, or until 30 rounds have passed (whichever comes first.)